There are five types of licenses:
- A node locked license lets a single user execute one software product on ONE adequately configured workstation.
- A Mobile Compute license lets a single user execute one software product on one adequately configured PC. If a Telecommuting/Remote Access Addendum is signed, Mentor Graphics software on your PC can be taken off-site (outside ½ mile radius).
- A floating license lets any single user execute one software product on ANY adequately configured and supported platform type workstation at one site*.
- A site license lets ALL users, on a given network, execute copies of software products on ANY adequately configured and supported platform type workstation at one site*.
- A limited site license, which is only available on certain products, lets ALL users execute a PREDETERMINED NUMBER of copies of a software product on ANY adequately configured and supported platform type workstation, on a given network, at one site*.
*A site is defined as a logically connected network of computer workstations located within a one-half mile radius on which Software may be used and to which Mentor Graphics assigns a site number.
Licenses are transferable only with Mentor Graphics approval. If you have a question about transferring licenses, call your local SupportCenter and ask to be transferred to your Customer Response Team representative/Order Administrator.
X-windows lets users separate the location of execution and location of use for node or floating licenses. You need one license for each unique combination of location of execution and location of use. X-windows allows remote display capability with X11R4 or X11R5 protocol when executing on any of the MGC supported UNIX platforms from HP or Sun. All fonts are shipped in BDF format appropriate to the host.
The number of license servers you need depends on the size of your site and the number of people who are using Mentor Graphics applications at the same time. For most networks, Mentor Graphics recommends having at least two independent license servers so that the licenses can be distributed between them for backup purposes. If your network has more than 25 workstations or you have problems with network crashes, we recommend you use at least three independent servers.
You can now access the Mentor Graphics software installed at your primary work site on a temporary basis while working from home or traveling. Because licenses are specific to your work address, signing a telecommuting addendum enables you to legally use your license from other locations. Contact your local Account Manager for further details.