Mentor Graphics provides authorization codes to enable the use of our software products, protect our intellectual property, and meet legal commitments to our customers.
Mentor Graphics authorization codes control access to our software products and require operation of products to be tied to a designated computer or computer network for a specified period of time. Authorization codes are created for each customer. If the authorization codes expire, or are tied to an unusable machine, the products will not run.
Here are the guidelines surrounding length of time for which authorization codes will be generated by Mentor Graphics for all its products worldwide:
- Perpetual Licenses at Active Sites: An active site is a site with at least one product on current support contract. Perpetual, floating and node-locked licenses with Authorization Codes tied to a hardware key or to an Ethernet address, host ID or server ID at Active Sites will have Authorization Codes generated with dates that extend for fifteen months, or for a period that matches the site's coterminous support Expiration Date plus 90 days, whichever is shortest. Customers with perpetual licenses are entitled to access the version for which they pay support. Renewal of authorization codes on an annual basis, tied to the support agreement, ensures the customer receives the most current version of codes in line with the version of software they have on support.
- Perpetual Licenses at Declined Sites: A declined site is a site without any products on current support contract. Perpetual licenses at declined sites will have Authorization Codes generated at the last supported version with dates that extend for five years. If customers no longer wish to receive Authorization Codes for declined licenses, they may ask Customer Support to have the "Stop Sending Declined Authcodes-Letter Agreement" (PDF) completed and sent to them for their signature. For fully declined sites with only PADS products at the site, authorization codes may be issued with a fifteen year expiration date at the customer's request.
- Time-Based Licenses: All time-based licenses will have Authorization Codes generated for a maximum of one-year increments not to exceed the length of the term or re-mix period duration, whichever is shortest. Short Term Lease licenses will have authorization codes generated through the end of the term but less than 18 months in duration.
- Licenses for Evaluations, Loans, Demos: All evaluations, loans, and demos will have Authorization Codes generated following the standard Mentor Graphics policy.
- Discontinued Products: Special rules apply to the length of Authorization Codes if the products are discontinued. (Please contact your local sales/support office regarding the special rules.)
- Legacy Generators: Products that use legacy authorization code generators with expiration dates not in compliance with this policy, will be grandfathered. Upon transition to a new license daemon (MGLS), the authorization code duration will be set in compliance with this policy.
- Valor Assembly Products: Authorization codes for Valor Assembly products may be issued for up to 15 year duration.
Any exceptions must be approved by the Director of Worldwide Order Fulfillment.